Patient Power's Diversity & Inclusion Pledge
Jun. 2, 2020-- To our friends and followers:
Patient Power stands unequivocally with those calling for justice, fairness, and equality. George Floyd's life mattered. Breonna Taylor's life mattered. Ahmaud Arbery's life mattered. Black Lives Matter. Black Cancer Patients Matter. Race should not be a determinant of life and health equity and yet it is for black patients in America today. We stand with the mission of the Diversity and Inclusion Pledge for Women of Color: to advocate and activate the inclusion of women of color across initiatives that impact their cancer support and overall health.
From the transparent and tangible framework of the #inclusionpledge, we commit to these six actions:
- We reviewed and signed the inclusion pledge of 6/2/20.
- We made a corporate donation to the Tigerlily Foundation on 6/12/20.
- We will leverage our access to health-industry partners by asking pharmaceutical, diagnostic, and scientific organizations we work with to join us in this pledge and act on its framework.
- We will increase efforts to recruit speakers of color for our live event panels, interviews and our additional advocacy initiatives.
- We will work with our content production team to deepen our body of educational resources for black patients and care partners with at least a dozen more articles and/or interviews with experts and advocates over the next year.
We are grateful to Angel in Disguise, Tigerlily Foundation, For The Breast of Us, Julia Maues, and Christine Hodgdon for putting together this pledge.
Black Cancer Patients Matter. Black Caregivers Matter. Please review this pledge, commit to the actions you take, and share within our industry: bit.ly/IncluPledge
Andrew and Esther Schorr
Co-Founders, Patient Power
About Patient Power
Patient Power is a patient-centric, mission-driven media organization dedicated to providing actionable information and support to people affected by cancer. Through its multiple programs, Patient Power empowers patients and their care partners with the most up-to-date and salient information to make savvy treatment decisions. Programs include patient-powered journalism, reporting from the frontlines of cancer conferences; in-person and live broadcast Town Hall meetings in specific cancers featuring medical experts and inspiring patients; interviews and broadcasts throughout the year; and e-newsletters targeted to specific cancers. Patient Power also produces peer-to-peer discussions, including “Patient Café,” on-line conversations highlighting the wisdom of experienced patients and care partners, as well frequent postings on a variety of social media channels.
Patient Power also amplifies the voice of people it reaches, delivering their insights to interested parties, including the media, government and companies that develop medical products.
Patient Power’s mission is to help patients and care partners, from diagnosis on, approach cancer in way that accelerates their journey to the best possible health.
# # #
Co-Founder and President